Amarok need Ruby??

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Dec 12 11:50:07 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 12:07, Rashid N. Achilov wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 December 2006 14:53, Marek Franke wrote:
> > "Rashid N. Achilov" <achilov-rn at askd.ru> schrieb: Yesterday I had jave
> > tried
>
> to setup amarok 1.4.4 instead of 1.3.8. I had very
>
> > surprised and _very_ frustrated, when I have seen, that amarok port tried
> > to install Ruby!! Why? Why 1.3.8 didn't need it, but 1.4.4 need? What is
> >
> > AFAIK amarok need ruby because there are some plugins based on ruby.
> > Marek
>
> Well, probably. How can I switch off these plugins? I did not need it at
> 1.3.8, so I won't need it and 1.4.4

Things like this are usually an option of the "configure" script used to set
the build options before compiling.

I'm a bit suprised about KOffice though, because I thought it was using the
Kross multi-language engine. Maybe the package you are using includes Python
scripts and therefore depends on Python rather than suggesting it as an
option.

IIRC Kross will be moving to the KDE libs for KDE4 and applications won't have
to decide on a certain scripting language, but for KDE3 they unfortunately
have if they want to provide extensibility for non-C++ coders.

However, as I wrote above, such features are usually a build time option can
the applications are usually able to build without if told so.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring