Unable to access Internet with Konqueror

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Dec 11 20:44:28 GMT 2006

I had some network problems on Debian Etch which turned out to be due to
zeroconf being installed. Gkrellm was displaying 169.254.187.86, not the
correct machine address, which is 192.168.0.8. After messing with ifconfig,
and route I eventually got a suggestion to remove zeroconf, and that has
Gkrellm now showing the correct address.

KDE version is 3.5.5, and Konqueror is also 3.5.5. I also messed with KDE's
control centre's, Internet & Network/Network Settings to try and resolve this
problem, before being told to remove zeroconf.

Now I can access the Internet with Opera, and Firefox. I can also use KDE's
Konsole with apt-get to get updates, and Kmail will retrieve mail ok, but
Konqueror doesn't appear to be able to get access to the gateway, which is
the Smoothwall firewall at 192.168.0.1. This doesn't seem to be a DNS
problem, as Konqueror cannot access the Smoothwalls webserver, which is
accessable with just the IP address, and port.

Anybody got any magical KDE incantations to fix this?

Nigel.  100% KDE on all distro's