DCOP problem when running a kde app remotely (with DISPLAY redirect)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Aug 24 11:31:42 BST 2006

On Wednesday 23 August 2006 17:56, Com Pegasus-CC-Hotline wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have to run a kde application (kmix) remotely on a non-X, non kde
> system.
> I don't want to install big packets there, as I want to run this kmix
> one-time only,
> and the system shall actually stay damm small.

Wouldn't it be better to use a commandline mixer like alsamixer?

> Result: kmix didn't start due to missing DCOPserver. Then I found
> the -dcopserver switch available for all kde applications, but the
> proposed syntax (first line from ~/.DCOPserver*) doesn't address
> the need to use a remote one.
>
> However, I have read, that a different dcop server is needed for each
> display,
> so it should be possible to use a remote dcop server in order to use a
> remote
> display. But how to do it, or in other words:
>
> What is the syntax for the -dcopserver argument to contact a remote dcop
> server,
> and are there any other things I should take into account?

DCOP handles it transport through the ICE library, which might be able to
handle remote connections as well. However I guess DCOP registers a local
connection, i.e. libICE creates a unix socket, very likely for security
reasons.

Cheers,
Kevin

--