IM Client

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at adelphia.net
Tue Aug 15 04:11:44 BST 2006

On 14 Aug 2006, at 19:30 , Gary L. Greene Jr. wrote:

> On Monday 14 August 2006 21:38, Merton Campbell Crockett wrote:

>>> KDE's Kopete has had Yahoo IM support for quite some time. However,
>>> I have not used it in that fashion, nor do I have a camera to
>>> test its
>>> relatively recent video conferencing facility. AFAIK, video
>>> conferencing
>>> works with MSN, not sure about its support on other networks.
>>>
>>> Kopete works with MSN, Yahoo, AIM, Gadu-Gadu, GroupWise, ICQ, IRC,
>>> Jabber, SMS, WinPopup protocol. Of course full feature support on
>>> some
>>> networks may not be possible depending on how open the protocol is
>>> and if it is closed, how well the reverse engineering effort is
>>> going. I would suggest just giving it a go.
>>
>> In addition to Kopete, I suspect that you will find GAIM in the SLED
>> distribution.  It was included in SUSE Linux 10.1.  It definitely
>> supports the Yahoo! and AOL messenger products and the others
>> mentioned above.
>
> However it doesn't have webcam support. I hate to say it but it's
> the one
> thing that the proprietary IM tools have as an ace at the moment.
> This is one
> of the things that is on the TODO list for Gaim, and Kopete. AMSN
> does have
> some support for MSN webcams and has better support for MSN than
> most. Also
> it has good themeing support.

At work the only cameras permitted in the facility are security
cameras.  Any device with a built-in camera must have the camera
physically disabled before it can be brought into the building.
There are similar restrictions on devices with microphones.
Obviously, a messaging system that provides audio and video isn't
particularly useful in this environment.

Out of curiosity, does anyone actually use the video features of
messaging software?  It strikes me that it is something that one
might use once or twice before deciding that it is a total waste of
network and system resources.

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett at adelphia.net