IM Client

Gary L. Greene Jr. greeneg at phoenuxos.com
Tue Aug 15 03:30:18 BST 2006

On Monday 14 August 2006 21:38, Merton Campbell Crockett wrote:
> On 14 Aug 2006, at 16:32 , Marek Wawrzyczny wrote:
> > On Tuesday 15 August 2006 07:31, Rick Montgomery wrote:
> >> I am looking at switching out several laptops and desktops to SuSE
> >> SLED 10,
> >> we do not use "MSN" messenger, only YH messenger / video
> >> conference. what
> >> about in Linux? As YH is the choice of all our personnel.
> >>

> >> Suggestions appreciated
> >
> > KDE's Kopete has had Yahoo IM support for quite some time. However,
> > I have not
> > used it in that fashion, nor do I have a camera to test its
> > relatively recent
> > video conferencing facility. AFAIK, video conferencing works with
> > MSN, not
> > sure about its support on other networks.
> >
> > Kopete works with MSN, Yahoo, AIM, Gadu-Gadu, GroupWise, ICQ, IRC,
> > Jabber,
> > SMS, WinPopup protocol. Of course full feature support on some
> > networks may
> > not be possible depending on how open the protocol is and if it is
> > closed,
> > how well the reverse engineering effort is going. I would suggest
> > just giving
> > it a go.
>
> In addition to Kopete, I suspect that you will find GAIM in the SLED
> distribution.  It was included in SUSE Linux 10.1.  It definitely
> supports the Yahoo! and AOL messenger products and the others
> mentioned above.
>
> Merton Campbell Crockett
> m.c.crockett at adelphia.net

However it doesn't have webcam support. I hate to say it but it's the one
thing that the proprietary IM tools have as an ace at the moment. This is one
of the things that is on the TODO list for Gaim, and Kopete. AMSN does have
some support for MSN webcams and has better support for MSN than most. Also
it has good themeing support.

Gary