KJots data file

Jaison Lee lee.jaison at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 16:08:16 BST 2006

On 8/2/06, John Kennedy <ennoil at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am currently using KJots v0.7 (Using KDE 3.5.1 Level
> "a" SUSE 10) on a laptop running SuSE Enterprise Linux
> Desktop 10 and KJots v0.7 (Using KDE 3.5.1 Level "a"
> SUSE 10.1) on a desktop running SuSE 10.1. I would
> like to hold my KJots books on a USB stick so that I
> can access the data on either (or any) machine. What
> are the files I need to save and can I point KJots to
> find them on my USB stick?

In short: KJots does not have built-in support for this yet, and I
suggest you do not try to make it happen unless you have very good
backup scenarios.

KJots data files are stored in ~/.kde/share/apps/kjots as ".book"
files (the filenames are random). It gets this directory from the KDE
subsystem, and does not have support for changing the data directory.
It may be possible for you to make a link to the file/directory on the
USB drive but I've never tried that. KJots saves files from time to
time and will become very irritated if you ever remove the drive
without shutting down KJots (KJots does not keep the files open).

With the version you are using you could just copy the .book files to
and fro (but don't get used to this; in the next version you will need
to use an Import/Export option) although your bookmarks might break if
you do this.