any benefit to 64-bit?

Andriy Rysin arysin at myrealbox.com
Wed Apr 19 00:00:19 BST 2006

Not sure if very KDE code will get a big benefit, but from my experience
CPU intensive tasks definitely gain speed, sometimes around 20-30%:
bzip2 gave me around 27% speedup, kuickshow started to
render/scale/rotate big pictures instantly without delay 1s delay...
That's why I actually did buy Turion64 after reading ton's of reviews
and they don't lie - 64bit more is more powerful even if you don't go
for terabytes of RAM :)
On the other hand you'd have to face some shortage of binary only apps
and drivers: Adobe Reader, flash plugin, win32 codecs for mplayer, NDIS
drivers are harder to get....
That's why I work in 32bit mode most of the time but have a separate
/usr partition to experiment with 64bit stuff and check if it's getting
any closer...

good luck,
Andriy