Adjust global configuration for KDE?

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Tue Apr 4 04:16:44 BST 2006

Tristan Miller a écrit :
> Greetings.
>
> I've just installed SuSE 10.0 and KDE on a system intended for multi-user
> use.  Many of the users are novice computer users who will be confused by
> some of the default settings, such as the virtual desktop applet in the
> taskbar, and the myriad programs in the K Menu.  I would like to make a
> default KDE configuration for all new user accounts which will load only a
> few necessary taskbar applets, and feature icons for some commonly used
> programs on the desktop.  Can someone tell me how to do this?  I don't
> want to have to manually configure the KDE settings for each new user
> account as it is created.

Learnt to do this a few days ago (btw: thanks to everybody who took
pains to explain, Kevin Krammer especially)

Two different ways.

1) Create a KDE environment as you would like it. Now copy your
kdeglobals file (~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals IIRC) to the place where
global configuration happens. Here: /opt/kde/share/config/kdeglobals.
Thus, you create a default user setting which everyone is free to
override thereafter.

2) Use /etc/skel. Place your entire ~/.kde directory in /etc/skel, and
then add a user with /etc/skel -> man useradd explains this, you'll have
to experiment a little bit.

Cheers,

Niki Kovacs

--