Korrupted Kmail email backups? And how to restore?

r bartlett techwritebos at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 5 04:32:35 BST 2006

Hi.  I had a bunch of mail in various folders in Kmail using FC4 and recently did a fresh install of FC5.  Kmail works great, but I've had a heck of a time importing my old mail into the new Kmail.  I have a backup of the old .kde/share/apps/kmail/mail folder (and the ../apps/kmail/ one as well), but I've noticed that there are two types of mail folders and one is corrupted.

One type is a huge file with all the mail in it, preceded with a "."  For example, a folder I send most of my mail to:  mymail at mymainemailaddress.com.au.  I think the file in the /mail directory looks like this:

.mymail at mymainemailaddress.com.au

or

.outbox

There are also associated files related to that, such as an index and so on.

However, another folder, called "MyWorkEmails" is an actual _directory_.  It just looks like:

MyWorkEmails/

or

SpamBulkJunk/

or

Students/

And the problem is that with these folder directories, all the email stored in them is disappearing in an odd way:  The mail initially seems to be listed there, but each time I click on an email to open it, it disappears.  In its place is a line saying "Subject Unknown            Unknown                  Unknown"  (the latter two are for the sender and time.)  If I click on another email, the same thing happens...and it stays gone.

I have the emails backed up and am assuming there's a way to get these to import to Kmail and be usable...but gosh darn if I can figure out how.  I tried the "Import Email" tool on the mail folder and it didn't work at all, even if I chose the "Kmail" option.  This odd phantom email korruption occurred when I cut and pasted the folders into the .kde/share/apps/kmail/mail directory.

Does anyone know what's going on and how to fix it?  Is it a bug?  Can I import these emails using a third party program like mb2md?  I'm just totally frustrated and lost...and I wish that the Kmail import tool included not only the Email program info, but tips about what the structure itself looked like...I gather mbox and maildir and so on are very different and old Kmail must have used one kind and new Kmail uses the other.

Also:  How do I delete a folder I've added to Kmail?!!  There doesn't seem to be any option for this!!!

Sorry to post such a long and probably confusing email.  I hope I've been clear enough for someone to help me out...I love Kmail and have been using it for ages, but this has been so frustrating.  Many thanks in advance for anyone who can give me some tips or suggestions.  I am using Kmail 1.9.1, btw, if that matters.  I don't know what Kmail I was using with FC4.

Thanks very, very much...