GPG error with KMail, cannot decrypt emails...

Christian Mueller cmueller at gmx.de
Sat Apr 1 11:51:15 BST 2006

Am Samstag, 1. April 2006 12:34 schrieb Gary Greene:
> For a while now, I've not been able to decrypt encrypted emails from people
> that are encrypted with GnuPG. I've got GPG Agent running and have
> pinentry-qt installed, but the error I get is the following from the blue
> header in the email:
>
> Encrypted message (decryption not possible)
> Reason: Crypto plug-in "openpgp" could not decrypt the data.
> Error: Bad passphrase
>
> Additionally, I get this from the command line while kmail attempts to decrypt
> the message:
>
> gpgme_op_decrypt_verify() returned this error code:  117440523
>
> If there are any GPG gurus on this list that know how to remedy this, please
> let me know. Thanks.

I'm not a GPG guru, but I had a problem like that
(not sure if I got the same error code, though ...):

The entry "pinentry-program" in ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf was not pointing
to the correct location (I had pinentry-qt installed, but the path was wrong):
pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry-qt

The password dialog window didn't come up in my case, of course.

Christian.