Non-KDE apps can't connect to web sites using URLs

Jeffrey Barish jeff_barish at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 29 23:31:01 BST 2005

I know that this sounds bizarre, but since I upgraded my system from
Libranet 2.8 (2.4 kernel) to 3 (2.6 kernel, KDE 3.3.2), it appears that
only KDE applications are able to connect to Internet sites using URLs.  I
have three non-KDE applications (Firefox, Moneydance, Epiphany (web
browser)) that fail to connect using URLs and four KDE applications
(Konqueror, KMail, KNode, KNewsTicker that succeed.  Firefox and Epiphany
are able to connect using IP numbers.  The fact that IP numbers work
suggests a DNS problem, but DNS lives at my ISP so I don't see how it would
be able to discriminate against only certain apps.  Well, I don't see how
anything would.  Is there anything in KDE that might account for this
favoritism?
--
Jeffrey Barish