mime type error

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Wed Sep 28 16:01:19 BST 2005

On Wed September 28 2005 06:38, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> > I just looked up mime type in suse help and found it has to do with file
> > associations.  I attempted to set up a type of .exe for wine, so I messed
> > with this.  can I restart the database in case I trashed it?  If this is
> > the problem ...
>
> Try renaming the folder ~/.kde/share/mimelnk. Restart KDE and see if the
> problem persists. Note that any custom file associations you have set will
> not be available. However, if this step solves your problem, you can try to
> find the file which is causing the problem and remove just that file.
>
> Regards,
> Philip
Thank you!  I blindly followed your directions and the result is:
no more mime errors on every program opening
the system booted as normal (speed)
running top, nothing is dominating cpu time, and knotify is nowhere to be
seen.

Again, thank you, I have a payroll due in 5 days and I was worried if I could
run Open Office.

Now, my opinion is that changing the directory name is not a fix but instead a
diagnostic function.  Could you please tell me:
what happened
why did changing the directory name do a temp solve
how do I do a permanent solve
where can i go to get more info

Thanks, John
--