Desktop device icons do not show at all

Mike mikeumo at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 20 21:26:38 BST 2005

Well --
here is some update...

I noticed that hotplug was not running as well as devfsd. So, I specified to
run them at boot time. After I restarted, the machine would go through the
boot fine except would not bring the graphical login screen. It would just
sit and wait for it to come up, but respond to keyboard: I could switch to a
terminal screen and type login name, but even there the process would hang
verifying the password. The whole mess was probably because of the display
manager (mdkkdm) confusion from those processes.

Anyway, now I have devfsd, dbus running (no HAL, no hotplug and udev would not
run because of devfsd) and I got the icons! But the icons from the panel are
gone! I got what I wanted, but I'll try to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks to everyone for taking interest and suggestions.

Mike.