KDE 3.3 v 3.4 and usb storage icons

SnapafunFrank Frank at snapafun.co.nz
Tue Sep 6 02:24:23 BST 2005

Basil Fowler wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Last weekend, on a trial basis, I installed Kubuntu 5.0.4 in place of my old
>Mandrake 9.2. One of the main reasons was to improve the working of USB
>devices, especially cameras and USB storage devices.
>
>Kubuntu uses KDE 3.4, kernel 2.6.10 and Xorg6.  When I plugged in a USB card
>reader, within a few seconds an icon appears. Clicking on the icon reveals a
>list of files on the card.
>
>With KDE 3.3 that is on my Mandrake system, I activate the card by clicking on
>the mount point when konqueror is in file management mode.  Mandrake 9.2 uses
>kernel 2.4.22 and XFree 4.3.0. Sometimes to get the card to activate, I have
>to log out and relog in.  This is probably due to an idiosyncracy in Mandrake
>that automatically writes and deletes the relevant entry in /etc/fstab.
>
>My question is this:  Does the difference in behaviour stem from the version
>of KDE or from the kernel version?
>
>I want to remain with Mandrake 9.2 if possible.  My rather old graphics card
>runs much better with XFree 4.3 than Xorg6.  This is not unexpected, older
>hardware often runs better on older software.
>
>TIA
>
>Basil Fowler

Hi Basil

I too was once staying with 9.2 but have long since upgraded to 10
Official and this week to 2005 LE. My hardware is more than 5 years old
and I'm having no performance problems here.

To answer your question: the kernel is the reason for better USB
recognition with KDE coming to the party to make things easier for you
with nice eye candy stuff that just points and clicks.

But if you want to go back to 9.2 then it is possible, I think, to get
things working but you need to install udev and roll up your sleeves for
a heap of command line work. Even then I'm not sure as I struggled to
get this to work . Sometimes it worked and sometimes not.

Also, others may be able to better advise, but you ought to be able to
get Kubuntu running quicker on older hardware by ensuring you do a
custom install and then only select what is needed. Keep things thin and
it will run better. Remember, KDE is a big client.

--
Newbie Seeking USER_FUNCTIONALITY always!

Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213