KDE 3.3 v 3.4 and usb storage icons

Basil Fowler bjfowler at chanzy.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Sep 5 09:52:27 BST 2005

Hello,

Last weekend, on a trial basis, I installed Kubuntu 5.0.4 in place of my old
Mandrake 9.2. One of the main reasons was to improve the working of USB
devices, especially cameras and USB storage devices.

Kubuntu uses KDE 3.4, kernel 2.6.10 and Xorg6.  When I plugged in a USB card
reader, within a few seconds an icon appears. Clicking on the icon reveals a
list of files on the card.

With KDE 3.3 that is on my Mandrake system, I activate the card by clicking on
the mount point when konqueror is in file management mode.  Mandrake 9.2 uses
kernel 2.4.22 and XFree 4.3.0. Sometimes to get the card to activate, I have
to log out and relog in.  This is probably due to an idiosyncracy in Mandrake
that automatically writes and deletes the relevant entry in /etc/fstab.

My question is this:  Does the difference in behaviour stem from the version
of KDE or from the kernel version?

I want to remain with Mandrake 9.2 if possible.  My rather old graphics card
runs much better with XFree 4.3 than Xorg6.  This is not unexpected, older
hardware often runs better on older software.

TIA

Basil Fowler