Konsole font

andrew kar akar3d at yahoo.com.au
Sat Oct 29 16:52:53 BST 2005

James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> Errrr.  How would they do that if the font didn't contain the necessary
> information?  IAC, I used to have a bit map that was not AAed, and now I
> have an AAed font.

Sorry for the late reply, I have been away. I think James that you are
mistaking "hinting" for AA. Hinting is information contained in an
outline font in order to change the way it is rendered at small point
sizes otherwise it would look crap at small sizes even though the
outlines look fine in larger sizes.
AA on the other hand doesnt have info in the font but is a set of
algorithms in the font renderer that adds extra grey or co;our pixels to
improve the appearance of a glyph. Its simplest case ( for both fonts
and pictures) is filling in the jaggies of a diagonal line with lighter
shade pixels which smooths out the line but gives that slight reduction
in sharpness? / focus? that people dislike.

So konsole will use whatever you want it to. As I said in my early post
if you turn on the bitmap renderer in xfree then you can have AA bitmap
fonts. Its nothing new. Look at your xfree files, its been there for
yonkers.
For more info people should look at the Xfree/Xorg docs with reference
to the two rendering systems currently coexisting. If you dont enable
the bitmap renderer in XF options then bitmaps will be rendered the old
way and AA will not be available.

regards,
andrew