Howto iconify running apps to desktop

Robert Freund rfreund at uos.de
Thu Oct 27 12:17:57 BST 2005

Hi,

On Thursday 27 October 2005 07:48, KerstinMontasoya at comcast.net wrote:
> KerstinMontasoya at comcast.net wrote:
> > How can I iconify running apps to desktop?
>
> To Summarize:  It looks likeyou cant with KDE.

No, you can't with kde (or better: kwin), but you can easily use another
window manager.
You can try fvwm2 for example, which supports iconification. Simply install
fvwm2, start your kde session, and then run
fvwm2 --replace
Which will replace your running kwin.
In fvwm2's window menu you can choose "Iconify" and you can also assign
shortcuts to this of course. The only problem is that fvwm2 comes with a
terrible default configuration (i.e.  it works and looks pretty ugly) and
that there is no configuration utility - everything you configure has to be
done manually in ./fvwm/.fvwm2rc, which can be quite cryptic. Once you master
this it's a very fine window manager though.

On Thursday 27 October 2005 07:48, KerstinMontasoya at comcast.net wrote:
> Have you tries using FVWM as the window manager with KDE?

Sorry Kevin I wrote this email before reading your message :)

Regards,
Robert
--
Why you should use email encryption: