Installation of F-prot

C. Beamer cbeamer at interlynx.net
Fri Oct 14 15:01:31 BST 2005

kde-request at mail.kde.org wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:39:33 +0300, Erik Ohls <eohls at welho.com> wrote:
>torsdagen den 13 oktober 2005 14:35 skrev C. Beamer:
>

>>>On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:45:22 +0100, Jack Eyton-Jones
>>><jack.eytonjones at btopenworld.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Dear Sir,
>>>I have downloaded the rpm file fp-linux-ws.rpm and clicked on the software
>>>Installation and it installed OK. Trouble is where do I find the program
>>>file to run the Antivirus scan? I tried typing f-prot in the Run command
>>>but noth ing happened. I may add that I am an absolute beginner  to Linux
>>>and I find executing the proper commands very complicated.
>>>I would appreciate your help.
>>>

>>I'm not sure what distro you are using except that it's rpm-based.  I no
>>longer use an rpm-based distro.  However, on my system (Gentoo) and I'm
>>pretty sure it was the same in Fedora Core when I used that, f-prot was
>>installed in /opt.
>>

>The original FRISK rpms install everything exept the man-pages
>in /usr/local/f-prot. They also create a link in /usr/local/bin to the
>executable script f-prot.sh which starts the binary f-prot -- which means
>that if /usr/local/bin is in the path the user doesn't have to bother about
>making symlinks.

My point here was that he had to make sure the executable was in the
path because he said he couldn't run it by just typing the name of the
program.  And *i* *DID* have to make a symlink to the executable on my
system, both on Gentoo, which I currently use and on Fedora Core, which
I used to use.  It is easier than editing the path, IMO.

Colleen