Installation of F-prot

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Wed Oct 12 16:00:53 BST 2005

On Tuesday 11 October 2005 15:45, Jack Eyton-Jones wrote:
> Dear Sir,
> I have downloaded the rpm file fp-linux-ws.rpm and clicked on the software
> Installation and it installed OK. Trouble is where do I find the program
> file to run the Antivirus scan? I tried typing f-prot in the Run command
> but noth ing happened. I may add that I am an absolute beginner  to Linux
> and I find executing the proper commands very complicated.
> I would appreciate your help.
> Thanking you in anticipation.
> Regards,
> Bonzo

Hi Jack aka Bonzo. I havn't got F-prot but looking on their site you should
simply be able to run f-prot to scan all files. You will need to open a
console (CLI) and as I have to do using clam-av av scanner, will probably
have to run it as root. Just type su on the CLI, then your root password,
then f-prot, and it should scan all your files. Personally since I got rid of
Windoze, I've lost my paranoia to be constantly scanning for this and that.
I'm not taking it lightly, as there are viruses, etc, that can effect linux.
Personally, having a good, secure, firewall, and a good root password, should
protect you from most unexpected arrivals. Back up the data in you're /home
directory regularly to, preferably another hardrive, and better still to a
harddrive on another machine. If you want any advice on firewall GUI's feel
free to post back off list if you want to. All the best. Nigel.