kmail: "A problem was found while applying this action."

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 16:13:04 GMT 2005

(I think (and hope) this is the right mail list--if not, please direct me to
the right one.)

<Aside>
I'm cc'ing the qna at linuxbasics.org list to update the status for them--I had
written to them about the problem about a week ago (before I knew about the
Filter Log Viewer, and, thus, before I knew about the "A problem was found
while applying this action" message).  There were not many suggestions, and
none by anyone using kmail.

I've also Googled for that message and kmail, and all of the hits seem to lead
to the source code.  I glanced at that, but don't know enough (or hardly any)
c++ to really see what is going on (i.e., what things can cause that
message).
</Aside>

I'm using kmail version 1.8.2 (kde 3.4.2) as delivered with Mandriva2006.

I've been having some problems with kmail filtering, but found the Filter Log
Viewer and have been watching it.  The current problem seems to be with one
particular local folder (i.e., rather than the rule that fires it)--I get the
message "A problem was found while applying this action."

I've looked at (to me) the obvious things, there is plenty of space on the
partition where the mail is stored (not under /home), enough inodes (more
below), the folder name is spelled right, ...

Any ideas/suggestions?

Other Info:
   * The local folder name is nedit
   * email is stored in /rhk/Mail, with a soft link at ~/.Mail pointing to
that directory
   * I have almost 60 filters installed, including some others that point to
the same local folder (nedit)--none of those others currently have the same
problem (more below)
   * I checked the space on the partition by using df, I'm sure there are
enough inodes because other emails (for other lists) are being stored.  (I do
have a strange mixture of local mail files, some mbox and some maildir--I
would have preferred all mbox, but maybe I created some of them without
making the proper choice.  The nedit file is an mbox file.
   * I checked permissions--I did find some oddities, some mbox files were
executable, some were not (nedit happened to be executable), I've now made
them all non-executable.  (I.e., they all have 600 permissions)  No change.
   * at one point I decided to delete all the rules applying to nedit, then
recreated them.  That didn't help.

Incidentally, during the course of doing that, I found something strange--when
I first inspected the filters for nedit, the destinations all looked correct.
When I started deleting the folders, at one point the destination for the
next (nedit) filter switched from pointing to nedit to something else (and
darn, I can't remember what that was--I don't think it was drafts but it
might have been--I should have written it down).

At that point, I hadn't yet saved my changes, so I quit the dialog without
saving, and tried it again.  Same strange result (which makes me doubly dumb
for not writing down that strange folder name).  Anyway, at that point I went
ahead and deleted all the nedit rules, saved the changes, then recreated the
nedit rules (pretty much one email at a time, i.e., as one came in that was
not filtered).

(BTW, at that time I didn't know about the Filter Log Viewer, so I don't know
if was giving the same "A problem was found while applying this action."
message or not.)

Anyway, I still have the problem--some nedit related emails do get moved to
the list, some do not.  Most recently, those that do not are from sourceforge
(nedit's bug list), but the filter rule does recognize them (as the failure
occurs during the "action".)

Any suggestions?

Randy Kramer