Empty KDE menu for NFS home

Elena Lazar ela at cs.tuiasi.ro
Thu Mar 24 18:42:48 GMT 2005

Hello,

I have a strange problem with:
- KDE 3.3.2
- on a Gentoo 2004.3
- my home is mountd via NFS

- KDE starts but the K Menu is empty (it has only few entries from
"Actions" like Logout, Bookmarks, but no Applications whatsoever)
- I can start programs with Alt+F2
- If I start kcontrol, the module list is emtpy as well
- /usr/kde/3.3/bin and /usr/kde/3.3/sbin are in my $PATH

Other facts:
- my NFS home is mouned and works ok (login from console is just fine)
- I deleted all .kde config files and directories and temporary files,
then I started with a fresh session and the outcome is the same
- I have the same empty result no matter I start from KDM or from startx

I have created a test user with local home and everything is fine. As soon
as I assign it a home via NFS, then again, KDE starts but with an empty
menu. I have no delays in accessing my NFS home, GNOME works fine with it,
from console it works fine, I wonder what is KDE missing here?

Thank you