Installing an update

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 20:56:14 GMT 2005

Hello All (Again)
I know that there is great activity at the moment on kde3.4 but that's the
reason I don't want to upgrade at the moment. I'm sure some one out there can
help with this.
Seems I need to upgrade libogg to 1.1.2 - in order to update a number of
things on my machine.
Basically my machine has libogg-devel installed on it and that needs libogg =
1.0- and to resolve conflicts I need to remove the following packages most of
which relate to KDE in some way. These are:
libvobis-devel
libogg-devel
kdebase3-devel
kdelibs3-devel
kdevelop3
My guess is that these all belong to the integrated development environment so
no harm will be done? But just in case is the libogg upgrade likely to be
backwards compatible? If so I could then just ignore the conflicts and force
the install.
It's interesting to note that a Suse 9.0 Packman upgrade of K3B also needs
this update. This is one of the infuriating aspects of Linux in general. I
love it but I think it's time the developers got to grips with this sort of
thing. As a software engineer I know that's both boring and difficult BUT!!
I would also love to know why K3B suddenly started toasting all types of data
DVD's. The RW's don't even seem to be recoverable. (Under XP)
Regards
John