How to enable the old kicker icon-zoom effect in KDE 3.4?

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vR at movingparts.net
Tue Mar 22 12:55:00 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 07:30, Jes Hall wrote:
> > I Disagree quite strongly.  I found the icon Zoom feature very usable,
> > and I've never had any problems with it.  I find it difficult to swallow
> > that the programmers who work on this stuff would be unable to overcome
> > this difficulty.
> >
> > Who decides what's "usable" anyway? :-D  Considering Linux is all about
> > choice wouldn't it be better to have this in the hands of the user?  I
> > like it, and from what I'm hearing many others do as well.
>
> I would hazard to suggest that the developer who gives up his free time to
> maintain the code is most qualified to make such decisions. If the code is
> causing bugs to pile up and the effort to fix it is far greater than any
> gain in  functionality, then it goes. Whether the effort is in fact greater
> is highly subjective, and only the person who is hacking on the code can
> truly judge. It is after all his time and his effort he's weighing in the
> balance.

FWIW, I agree.  I think Aaron did a great job with the replacement eye-candy
and have no complaints whatsoever.  There is no loss in functionality (i.e.
the icon does get bigger), and there is actually more usefulness now (not
only does the icon get bigger, but a nice, clean explanation of what the icon
is/does is also shown).  Very nicely done.  Very smart.

If only the other tooltips in kde would use Aaron's approach!!  =:)

Just wanted to speak up as one who very-much appreciates the work done in the
midst of those complaining.

--

 `
 ,