KGet and automatic reconnect to paswword protected FTP sites - how to ?

Izo I at siol.net
Tue Mar 8 14:16:37 GMT 2005

Andrew Kar wrote:

>On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 06:43 am, Izo wrote:
>

>>FTP Transfer is in progress, most probably in passive mode. DSL
>>connection on the other side of the firewall does not drop down. File
>>transfer stops due to the FTP server socket/connection close and KGet
>>does not resume the file transfer. Resuming by hand immediately resumes
>>the file transfer while KGet seems to never ever try to automatically
>>resume it.
>>
>>Any idea ?

Thank you for your answer-questions; here are my answers now.

>How many connections to the ftp server are you trying to keep open?  (In kget
>setup) default is 2.

Kept default

> Most FTP servers wont allow more than 3 but should only
>reject new ones.

Same with this one.

>What does the log window say?

13:38:13 : Job[1] : Attempt number 5
13:38:13 : Job[1] : Opening connection to host ftp.host
13:38:14 : Job[1] : Connected to host ftp.host
13:38:14 : Job[1] : Sending login information
13:38:17 : Job[1] : Login OK
13:38:19 : Job[1] : Total size is 730966016.000000 bytes
14:38:27 : Job[1] :  Could not read file
ftp://myusername@ftp.host/directory/filename.</font></b>

Last message appears also as a pop-up-message

>The server wont drop you for
>the fun of it; it will give a reason for its actions.

No reason here, really, is it ? And the message is not really from the
server, I guess, it is from the KGet. KGet has also remembered the
password, it has it also in the KWallet. But it never even tries to
resume download and it allways asks me to type-in the password when I
resume the operation manually.

>If this is only a problem with kget then I suggest you use something else.

any suggestions, please ?

Izo