Transferring mail

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Jun 30 20:37:26 BST 2005

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 22:17, John R. Sowden wrote:
>  I need to transfer my stored email (kmail) on my Suse 8.0 machine to my
> new Suse 9.3 box.  What I have to transfer with is a DVD-RAM drive/media.
>  How do I do this without wiping out my new mail, keeping indices intact,
> etc.

The part about new mails on the new installation makes this a little bit
difficult.

If your old ~/Mail only contained mbox file, you can import them in KMail
through Tools->Import messages (translated from German to English, might be
named slightly different)

Actually mbox names that are not yet used in the new ~/Mail could be copied
into the directory (while KMail is not running) and KMail will see them on
the next startup.

For a setup with maildir in both installations you could try this:

- tar the old Mail dir
- create mbox folders for each folder in your current installation
- copy all messages into that mbox folders
- shutdown KMail
- remove Mail directory
- untar old Mail
- import new mail from their mbox files.

Having a backup of both would be a good idea :)

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>