Stripping KDE

Jes Hall jes.hall at kdemail.net
Wed Jun 15 04:29:58 BST 2005

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 06:31, Patrick Ester wrote:
> While many people enjoy the large funtionality that KDE provides out
> of the box, I am wondering how I would go about finding what and how
> to strip items from KDE to reduce its footprint.  Thanks for your
> help.
>
> Respectfully,
> Patrick

There is a page on the wiki dedicated to small performance tweaks:

http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Performance%20Tips

If you are wanting to reduce the amount of disk space KDE takes up, the
essential required packages are arts, kdelibs, kdebase. If you wished to
uninstall say, kdegames because you never play them or even kdemultimedia
because you use xmms etc etc... you can do so.

I found the largest performance increases were to enable Konqueror preloading
and selecting simple, clean themes like plastik rather than heavier animated
ones like baghira. Now KDE runs very fast on my 700MHz/256MB notebook.

---
JH

KDE Frequently Asked Questions
http://docs.kde.org/en/HEAD/kdebase/faq

panic("esp_handle: current_SC == penguin within interrupt!");