Thunderbird to kde integration

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Jun 10 09:48:28 BST 2005

Denis Kostousov wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>    which thunderbird
>

> $ which thunderbird
> /usr/bin/thunderbird
>
> I set in kcontrol:
> ----
> Use diffren email client:
> /home/my_user/bin/thunderbird_url.sh %u
> ----
> and check "run in terminal"
>
> My script:
> ---
> $ cat /home/my_user/bin/thunderbird_url.sh
> #!/bin/sh
>
> export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME="/home/my_user/Programs/Thunderbird"
>

> url="$1"
> if [ "x$url" = "x" ]; then
>   read MAIL
>   echo $MAIL
>   echo $0
>   echo $1
>   echo $2
>   echo $3
>   cat
>   exit 0
> fi
>
> echo $url
>
> url=`echo $url|sed 's/^mailto://'`
>
> if $MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/thunderbird -remote "mailto($url)"; then
>   exit 0
> fi
> exec $MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/thunderbird -compose "$url"
> ----
>
> Then I try to send message to "user at domain.com" in my Kaddressbook. KDE terminal start with output:
> ----
> %u
> ----
> then start TB compose window with "%u" in address field.
>
> Why "%u" pass to e-mail client instead of "user at domain.com"?

If you have put:

	thunderbird_url.sh %u

in the KCM, then KDE will substitute the e-mail address for %u when it
executes the script.  Now, to use this in the script, you need to refer
to it as: "$1" {with the quotes} which appears to be what you are doing.

IIUC, this substitution isn't working and you wind up with an address of
%u.  I don't know right off why this isn't working at first glance it
looks correct.

--
JRT