execuring a console application from an icon

Christian Mueller cmueller at gmx.de
Thu Jun 9 07:31:42 BST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 9. Juni 2005 04:40 schrieb John Sowden:
> I wrote a short script to log in as root and run the crypto  script to mount a
> an encrypted partition.  Now I want to execute this by clicking on an icon,
> but the kde doc that describe running non-kde programs does not address this.
> could someone please direct me.

That depends on where the icon should reside:

On the panel (a.k.a. kicker):
Right-click an empty space on the panel
Add to Panel -> Special Button -> Non-KDE application
Fill out the fields and choose an icon if you want,
the script name goes into the "Executable" field.

On the desktop background:
Right-click an empty space
Create New -> Link to Application
Fill out the fields and choose an icon if you want,
the script name goes into the "Command" field on the
"Application" Tab.

In both cases, you probably want to check the "run in terminal" checkbox
(for the second one it's hidden under the "Advanced Options" button).

HTH,
Christian Müller.