Moving mouse pointer onto KDE Panel crashes KDE.

Marek Wawrzyczny marekw1977 at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jun 9 04:45:39 BST 2005

Hi all,

I hope someone may point me in the right direction. I've been intermittently
experiencing a problem where moving the mouse pointer onto the KDE Panel can
crash the whole KDE session (I'm taken right back to login screen while I can
see that my previous session still exists). This seems to have happened since
upgrading to KDE 3.4.0, not from the very start either.

I'm running XOrg 6.8.2 (release 2) on kernel 2.6.12-rc4 (although this also
happens with 2.6.11). When I upgraded to 3.4.1 it didn't happen for a while,
but I accidently upgraded XOrg to 6.8.99 and then had to downgrade back to a
working version. Ever since then the problem occurs. It may happen as often
as several times in an hour, or not even once for hours, it's difficult to
predict when it will happen and debug it.

I have a ALPS touchpad (Toshiba Tecra S1) and I'm running the latest synaptics
utilities.

I've looked at dmesg and XOrg logs but there is nothing there to indicate a
problem. I'm not really sure it's even KDE that's at fault although the fact
this happens only with KDE Panel and the effect is so drastic that made me
post this here. I'm quite happy to send any debugging info... if someone can
tell me where to find it :)

--
---
Marek Wawrzyczny