Mac style menu bar as a child panel gone in 3.4.1?

Jonathan Nelson ciasaboark at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 15:29:09 BST 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 01:50 +0200, Frank Hellmuth wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I always liked the Mac OS style application menu bar on top of the screen. In
> earlier versions of KDE this was achievable in two ways: 1st as "Mac OS"
> style menu bar in the Control Center under "Desktop Behavior" and
> additionally as a child panel with the "menu bar" applet. I never thought
> that this doubled configuration is user friendly, but with the 2nd way it was
> possible to add applets like a clock, the K Menu or the volume control to the
> menu bar. I liked that very much.
>
> Since I've upgraded to 3.4.1 there is no "menu bar" applet for a child panel
> anymore.
>
> Is my installation broken, did I miss something, or is that way of adding a
> Mac style menu bar gone? If so, are there any plans to bring it back?

I'm not in KDE right now, so this might not be totally correct.
I believe that if you choose the Mac style menu then KDE will create a
new child panel at the top that contains the menu.  If your using your
old configuration you may notice the menu appearing when you login, then
disappearing.  Thats because the child panel (the old one) is showing
over the new mac menu panel.  You'll have to remove the old child panel
to see the menu.

It's still not as good as the old setup though.  The panel looks
different (beveled IIRC), and you cannot change its size.  I'm pretty
sure that you can add applets to the mac menu panel, but because of its
small size the icons were always clipped.