Help requested

Carl William Spitzer IV cwsiv at access-4-free.com
Tue Jun 7 02:27:59 BST 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 11:11, Magic:Mirror Admin wrote:
> Hi,
> Strange question. I am creating an Internet site for the non-technical
> Linux user. I know there are hundreds of forums and sites out there but
> after speaking to hundreds of people everyone said the same thing,
> "There is not one site to get information on everything" This is my goal
> and I need some help.

First read the For Dummies books on linux all you can find.
Then look for the gaps.  Starting with the distro you use point out the
parts the For dummies books gloss over per that distro.

Then recruit distro specific contributors for the rest.
Oh and dont bother with all 240+ distros the primary ten will be fine
which is RedHat, Suse, Debian, Mandrake, Slackware, Knoppix, Gentoo and
pick three more yourself.

Dont forget they also have different support cycles.  So when looking
into KDE on Suse include 9.1, 9.2 and 9.3 and remember in about a year
9.1 will not be supported so you can prune your site accordingly.

Focusing on KDE and its native apps is a good idea its the most windows
like so for new converts its the easiest.  I hope you have about 20 meg
allowance.  Also keep it simple make your screen shots into thumbnails
with the option to click to show enlargement in a separate window.  This
will speed access for dialup users.  Keep your text neatlly formatted
with style sheets so your paragraphs will not be ragged and sloppy.
Slop shows a lack of concern for readers.

A short page with a mission statement and your adventures in design
called "about us" will be nice.
--