Move/Back-up Configuration

Barton K. Woolery nairatinu at cox.net
Sun Jul 31 18:09:17 BST 2005

LeRoy DeVries wrote:

>I am about to change hard drives and am looking for a way to save/and or move
>my suse 9.3/KDE 3.4.1 and other programs to the new hard drive.  I've looked
>for a software like Ghost to do the job but unable to find one. Does anyone
>hear have a suggestion on how to go about it.

Ghost works fine for me, I use it all the time to clone my hard drive
with multiple partitions (windoze, Mandriva, and Studio to Go!).  I use
the Norton Ghost 2003 version, you can find a Norton Systemworks 2003
disk for about $8 if you search on pricewatch.com.  The only caveat is
that you have to run "rescue" to rebuild the LILO on the cloned disk, at
least that's what I do with the Mandriva partition being the boot
partition.  Cloning can be a real life saver if you tinker a lot or want
to avoid exhaustive software reinstallation in the event of a hard drive
failure.  I also recommend installing a few removeable hard drive bays
($15 each) in your box if there's room.  It makes cloning and disk
switching a lot easier!