Fw: KDE 3.4.1 - Could not bind to socket '/tmp/ksocket-

Ross MacGillivray ross_macgillivray at yahoo.ca
Sat Jul 9 02:01:45 BST 2005

 Jan de Visser was kind enought to answer (see below) my question (see even
further below) about the following error in KDE on Cygwin.  Could not bind
to socket '/tmp/ksocket-RossMacGillivray/kdeinit-127.0.0.1:0'

When I looked at the /tmp directory the actual name of the file is
'/tmp/ksocket-RossMacGillivray/kdeinit-127.0.0.1_0'

The : has been replaced by an underscore due to, I think, Windows naming
conventions.

How does Cygwin on KDE run with this kind of incompatibility between windows
naming and unix/linux
naming conventions?
Can Cygwin open a native linux file system?
Is a linux file system partition necessary to run KDE on Cygwin?

/Ross