Automatic proxy configuration for KDE

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Jul 8 12:18:05 BST 2005

On Friday 08 July 2005 02:43, Andy Teijelo PĂ©rez wrote:

> connection/disconnecting processes. My problem was that I didn't find the
> way to make all open KDE apps aware of the change. I hadn't thought about
> kbuildsycoca and I tried as soon as I read your mail, but I had no luck.

Try this
dcop $(dcopfind -a konqueror-*) KIO::Scheduler reparseSlaveConfiguration http

Another possibility might be to use the output of a script instead of a value
in the configuration file.
KDE's config system supports that.

Not sure though how often this would be evaluated.

> In any case, these methods are fine for you and me and all programmer Unix
> geeks around, but are not suitable for the common user who needs a GUI and
> easy way to achieve his/her goal.

I agree that some kind of connection profile managment would be useful.
Both dial-up connection as well as wireless connections require more than just
a different IP/route/DNS entry at the system level.

I think I read somewhere that the KDE PIM developers are discussion some kind
of connection state awareness for applications. Might fit into that.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>