Mac OS-style menubar as default

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Sun Jul 3 23:23:58 BST 2005

On Sunday, 3 July 2005 21.51, Janne Ojaniemi wrote:
> - With Mac OS-style menubar we could unclutter the Kmenu, since we could
> move a lot of the stuff currently in Kmenu to the desktop's menu. For
> example, configuration, log-out, lock screen, switch user, search etc.
> could be moved to a menu in the menubar. then we could really make the
> Kmenu be about launching apps and nothing more.
>
> Thoughts?

As long as reverting to non Mac OS-style is straitforward it would not hurt
much, however my experience with non-mac users is clearly against the mac
os-style.

Users usually don't understand it, and since it's difficult (at least in the
macs) to see what app the menu belongs to, they end up looking for menu
points that are not available.

But once again, provided we get a simple choice (I mean ONE dialog, one click
and you get the "old" configuration back, it would not be a problem.

Please remember that 21% who want the mac os-style means 79% who don't, and
that's a clear majority...

Thierry de Coulon

Frank Zappa