How to change the panel's icon size?

Mark Miller mirell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 07:37:05 GMT 2005

The other Mark indicated that he wanted the "Small Size", 30 Pixels,
with 16x16 Pixel Icons, rather than the 22x22 Pixel Icons. (I
conversely, in my post to the KDE Developer's List, wanted a panel 128
Pixels wide (Panel being on the Left side of the screen) or wider,
with 16x16 Pixel icons. Either way, in KDE 3.3, it can't be done
without hacking on the code, which I lack the knowledge of the
particular libraries and such used with KDE, so it was not an endeavor
which I could pursue without much hardship.

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 08:07:47 +0100, Benjamin Rossen <b.rossen at onsnet.nu> wrote:
> Mark and Mark,
>
> I believe the problem you encounter is the result of the way icons are drawn
> on the desktop. In some graphics programs like Gimp and Photoshop, you can
> alter the size and shape of images in any proportions and by any incremental
> steps you wish, with little loss of image quality. The bi-cubic interpolation
> algorithms, which give the best results, are complex and slow to implement.
> Therefore it is easier not to employ these in the desktop GUI. Instead the
> icons are available in a range of specific sizes. At these sizes you get a
> pixel for pixel rendering, or you get simple multiples of pixels to pixel
> rendering. When you try to force the icon to take on an intermediate size the
> image quality is degraded. That may be why you see the blurry edges you
> referred to.
>
> I have not worked on KDE icons. In other systems, where I have tried to
> develop sizing algorithms, this is the choice I made. I recognize the same
> results in the KDE.
>
> Your system should work perfectly as long as you stick to the default sizes;
> tiny, small, normal and large.
>
> Benjamin Rossen
>

> On Tuesday 25 January 2005 02:29, Mark Miller wrote:
> > I brought this issue up on the KDE Developer's List a few months ago.
> > Basically, there's no way to do it currently, at least not with 3.3
> >
> > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 01:20:41 +0000, Mark Hellman <markhellman at techie.com>
> wrote:

> > > My problem is not with the panel's size (its already set to "small") but
> > > with the panel's icons size (which are 22x22).
> > >
> > > In my case, a "Small" panel means 30 pixels. I know that if I reduce it to
> > > 27 pixels, the icons are set to 16x16 pixels. But 27 pixels is a bit too
> > > small. *What I want is to have a 30 pixels panel with 16x16 icons*. Where
> > > can this be set?
> > >

> > > Mark

Mark A. Miller
mirell at gmail.com