KDE prevents system from shutting down?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Jan 24 16:35:43 GMT 2005

On Monday 24 January 2005 06:20, Andy Teijelo PĆ©rez wrote:
> El Domingo, 23 de Enero de 2005 10:40, Kevin Krammer escribiĆ³:
> > There could be something wrong with the way the system handles the
> > shutdown. Once my system reaches the state where it kills all processes
> > there is no way for an application to block this, the KILL signal can't
> > be caught and ignored.
>
> That works the same here. But after hitting the power button, it's a dcop
> call what is made here in my system. /sbin/shutdown does not get called
> immediately. I know it because I onced tried to cancel the shutdown
> (shutdown -c), and discovered that no shutdown was running yet until I
> answered the KDE app dialog that was waiting for me.

I guess that the ksmserver would be running shutdown after completion of
logouts.

> > KDE apps won't be alive at that stage anyway, because the X server has
> > shut down before and loosing the connection to the X server usually kills
> > all common X clients due to the implementations of their toolkits.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kevin
>
> I think this might have little to do with KDE after all. Maybe it's just a
> problem with the way that acpid handles the poweroff event. I just would
> like to know if KDE has a way to know that a shutdown has been requested
> --maybe by a system administrator--, and close properly. I mean, by saving
> the session and avoiding applications from blocking the process.

You could try 2 as the third parameter.
According to KApplication's API docs it is the value for forced shutdown.

But I guess if you want to shutdown at all costs, it would be better to have
the power off call the standard shutdown process and put the dcop call for
session logout and saving into a runlevel script, which waits for a maximum
time before letting the shutdown progress to the TERM and KILL stage.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>