to build an rpm from a tar.gz?

tommie ramirez andujar tommie at ispcmw.rimed.cu
Sun Jan 23 22:12:32 GMT 2005

Hi:

I have downloaded "checkinstall" that allows you to create an rpm
installer out of a tar-gz file, you just type "checkinstall" after
"./configure" and "make" and it builds and install an rpm. So far so
good, it did installed the rpm but I was not able  to  "see" it to save
it someplace else. Has anyone used this or  done in a different way, I
mean" to build an rpm from a tar.gz?
tommie