KDE prevents system from shutting down?

Esben Mose Hansen kde at mosehansen.dk
Sun Jan 23 12:39:56 GMT 2005

On Sunday 23 January 2005 03:57, Andy Teijelo PĂ©rez wrote:

> Do you know about this? Is this a KDE issue, or a particular application
> problem, or maybe a Debian issue? Any light is highly appreciated.

Well, from the code it is obvious that an application can do this. I think
that that is not a good idea. KDE should give applications a (perhaps
configurable) time limit in which respond or be killed.

If I select shutdown, I mean shutdown. It's ok to be able to stop a shutdown
in progress, and the applications can ask questions, but any dialogs must
time out and allow the shutdown to continue. Otherwise, you have to babysit
your computer through the shutdown process.

This should *not* be up to the applications. This should be something KDE
enforces. Like init:

... sending TERM to all processes...
... sending KILL to all processes...

--