What to play wmv file with?

John Layt johnlayt1 at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Jan 20 07:25:07 GMT 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:29, Rick Friedman wrote:
> Robert Spangler wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Just wondering what I can use to play wmv files?  I have tried kplayer
> > and xine but neither of them work.  I also tried to use totem-xine and it
> > also has a problem.
> >
> > What are you all using?
>
> Hi Robert!
>
> I'm using Xine to play wmv files. You need to make certain that you have
> the correct codecs installed. I suggest getting them at the following link:
>
> http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/w32codec-0.52-1.i386.rpm
>
> As you can see, it's an rpm package. If you have a Debian based distro,
> you can use alien to convert the package and install it. Once installed,
> xine should be able to play wmv files.
>
> Rick

Or if you are using Mandrake, visit the PLF at http://plf.zarb.net for rpms
for Win32 codecs, dvd decoding, and much more.

John.

Forget that new hard drive, save some lives instead, donate to the Red Cross:
  USA:  https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp
  UK:  https://www.donate.bt.com/bt_form_dec.htm
  Oz:  https://www.redcross.org.au/Donations/onlineTsunamiDonations.asp
  NZ:  https://www.banqonit.com/proxypage.aspx?boiid=205