KDE Perceived Quality Survey (PESQUS)

Larry Howe larry.howe at comjet.com
Sat Jan 15 16:21:57 GMT 2005

Dear HASE,

I took your survey, and I have a few comments. First of all, it's good to know
that KDE is well enough recognized to be the subject of a survey. I'm a
little bit disappointed, though, because all the questions are about
crashing, freezing, and data loss. Maybe it's because I use the pre-packaged
Suse version and I don't bother with patches, but I have never had these
problems. I do remember one occasion where I had a runaway KDE process, but
all I had to do was kill it and continue. I've been using KDE at home and at
work, 7 days per week, for the last 1.5 years. My PC at work has been up,
with KDE running, for over 70 days, without a reboot. That is better than a
lot of the Windows servers in our data center.

What I would really like to see in a survey is all the incredible capabilities
of KDE. My main PC at home is in our playroom where my kids use it to surf
the web, do email, and play games. They have the TV on right now, so I am
upstairs, using a remote KDE desktop over my wireless network. The desktop
gives me the exact environment that I would have if I were sitting at the PC.
I'm displaying it on an 8 year old laptop, which has plenty of power for the
job since it only needs to handle the keyboard, mouse, and screen.

Speaking of data loss, one time the battery on this laptop died in the middle
of a session. When I got it plugged in and reconnected to the main PC, my
entire session was saved. I did not lose even one keystroke of the document I
was working on.

I'm not one to slam Microsoft unnecessarily, but when their website says that
Remote Desktop is available "only in Win XP Professional", I beg to differ.
Oh by the way, I also use Linux at work to call up remote XP desktops, since
Linux is compatible with the MS remote desktop protocol.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. I realize that you have to start
somewhere and so perhaps that is why your survey is primarily about extreme
scenarios. If you ever have the time to expand this out into feature
comparisons or whatnot, I would be glad to participate. Since I use both KDE
and Windows, where do I go to give my comparative opinions on Windows?

Sincerely,
Larry Howe