special keys on a Sony VAIO

Steve Turnbull sturnbull at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Jan 6 08:41:13 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 23:28 -0500, JR wrote:
> From LinuxFormat Issue 62:

> Unsupported keboards [ or keys ]
>
> If there is no entry for the board in the LinEAK config file, you will
> have to make one from scratch.
>
> 3 steps:
>
> The first job can be accomplished in two ways. the first is to open a
> term and type xev. This outputs to the screen all the input dataa
> received via the mouse or keyboard. Pressing a key should output
> something like this:
>
> KeyPress event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x2a00001,
>
> root 0x40, subw 0x2a00002, time 14620748, (44,50), root:(719,608),
>
> state 0x0, keycode 45 (keysym 0x6b, k), same_screen YES,
>
> XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (6b) "k"
>
> XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (6b) "k"
>
> XFilterEvent returns: False
>
> The important part here is keycode 45, which corresponds to the 'k'
> key. Hit each of the multimedia keys in turn and write down it's name
> and keycode.. Users of klineakconfig have it even easier, they can
> just right clikc on the system tray icon for linEAK and select
> 'configure keyboard'.. The resulting dialog has a space that shows the
> keycodes of depressed keys.

> Well, that did the trick for my multimedia keys on a Dell Inspiron
> laptop. See how you get on with that. Just remember that klineakconfig
> was what got my setup working. I have more info here if you need it
> but I have no recollection of how I did it so I have to send you the
> excerpt from the article :)
>
> Jarlath
>
> On Wednesday 05 January 2005 06:08 pm, Steve Turnbull wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 21:32 -0500, JR wrote:
>
> > > I agree that lineak is difficult to set up. However, if you are
> using
>
> > > Mandrake, it's as simple as
>

> > > urmpi lineak
>
> > > urpmi klineak
>

> > > Alternatively, if you can find a distro specific build, I can help
> you
>
> > > with setting up the extra keys - just get it installed first.
>

> > > HTH
>

> > > Jarlath
>

> > Thanks for the replies and sorry for the double post...
>

> > I uninstalled kmilo and this allowed the DVD eject button towork
>
> > straight away :-)
>

> > I have now installed the lineakd apps via 'apt-get'. I have tried to
> set
>
> > it up but like you say it isn't easy. The main difficulty is that I
>
> > don't know which keyboard config to use - my laptop's a VAIO
> VGN-A217M
>

> > Setup help appreciated
>

> > Thanks
>
> > Steve

> remember

> guide:

> default

> choosing

> and

> not

> assigned. You

> > > Archives: http://lists.kde.org/.
>
> > > More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.

> [...]

Again, thanks for the reply...

Well, since removing 'kmilo' and getting my eject button to work, I
installed, but didn't configure, lineakd. I rebooted my laptop this
morning and was reading your reply. As I was testing the various
keystrokes, I noticed that the screen was getting lighter/darker!!

So, everything is working :-) Funnily though, I used 'xev' to test my
keys, but it doesn't recognise the Fn key? The Fn key works though???

Thanks for the help

Steve