special keys on a Sony VAIO

JR turnloosetheswans at eircom.net
Thu Jan 6 04:28:49 GMT 2005

From LinuxFormat Issue 62:
Unsupported keboards [ or keys ]

If there is no entry for the board in the LinEAK config file, you will have to
make one from scratch.

3 steps:

The first job can be accomplished in two ways. the first is to open a term and
type xev. This outputs to the screen all the input dataa received via the
mouse or keyboard. Pressing a key should output something like this:

KeyPress event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x2a00001,
    root 0x40, subw 0x2a00002, time 14620748, (44,50), root:(719,608),
    state 0x0, keycode 45 (keysym 0x6b, k), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (6b) "k"
    XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (6b) "k"
    XFilterEvent returns: False

The important part here is keycode 45, which corresponds to the 'k' key. Hit
each of the multimedia keys in turn and write down it's name and keycode..
Users of klineakconfig have it even easier, they can just right clikc on the
system tray icon for linEAK and select 'configure keyboard'.. The resulting
dialog has a space that shows the keycodes of depressed keys.
Well, that did the trick for my multimedia keys on a Dell Inspiron laptop. See
how you get on with that. Just remember that klineakconfig was what got my
setup working. I have more info here if you need it but I have no
recollection of how I did it so I have to send you the excerpt from the
article :)
Jarlath