Small usability issue

Andrew Kar akar3d at yahoo.com.au
Sat Feb 19 04:03:29 GMT 2005

On Friday 18 February 2005 04:09, Mark Hellman wrote:
> Glad to know KDE has dropped that awkward feature.

It sounds to me likeThomas is saying the same thing you are complaining about
unless I misunderstand him. He is saying in his new version a menu always
exists even if it only has 1 item in it.

I gather what you mean is that if you had a menu item on the main menu called
Web Browsers and it only opened to reveal "Konq Browser" that you would
prefer it didn't show a menu called "Web Browsers" at all but rather wiped it
and included Konq Browser in the main tree unless it had 2 or more browsers
to choose from?

If that is the case then I dont think anything has changed as I'm sure the new
kde is exactly the same.
Vanilla KDE doesn't have any submenus with only one item as it tends to use
generic group menus but most distros design their own custom menus and some
like Mandrake and Suse will divide "Internet" into "Browsers",
"Newsreaders" , "Mail Readers", "Instant Messages" "Chat" etc so it is easy
to have empty submenus.

The solution of course is to add more programs (haha)
Or you could simply right-click on the KDE startmenu and select menu-editor
and move things around how you like and delete unnecessary sub-menus.

BTW there is no setting in control-centre or any config file to change this
AFAIK.

--
regards,
andrew