Trash location in KDE 3.4

Christian Mueller cmueller at gmx.de
Fri Feb 18 14:27:04 GMT 2005

Am Donnerstag, 17. Februar 2005 11:36 schrieb Andreas Gungl:
> Hi,
>
> I was used to be able to define where the KDE Trash resides on my file
> system. I'm quite astonished to find it in $HOME/.local/share when running
> KDE 3.4 Beta 2.
> Starting "kcmshell desktoppath" (which seems to be no longer accessible in
> the control center BTW), I can't define the path for the Trash.
>
> I've searched the online help and the mailing list archives. But I don't
> have a clue how it is intended to work. Can anyone tell me how to get the
> control back in my hands? (I can certainly live with the $HOME/.local
> folder, but considering to get yet another folder for this and that makes
> me wonder how long it will take to have my $HOME/.kde splitted over my
> $HOME dir.)

I think this change is a consequence of the KDE implementation of the
trash specification from freedesktop.org:

http://www.ramendik.ru/docs/trashspec.html

Everyone who implements the trash specification (GNOME is another candidate)
must be able to find your trash.  I guess that's why KDE cannot afford
any more to provide a user-customizable setting that would be KDE-specific
(and a violation of the standard).

You can influence the location indirectly by setting certain environment
variables, though:

http://www.freedesktop.org/Standards/basedir-spec

Make sure any other implementors of the freedesktop standards see the
same environment vars or chaos will ensue, I guess.
if you really need to change them.  I wouldn't...

Christian.