Copying a DVD

Bob Stia rnr at sanctum.com
Tue Feb 15 02:47:21 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 05:38, LeVA wrote:

> I wrote the exact dd command which you can just "copy/paste" to your
> xterm window. The if=/dev/dvd requires that symlink, and it must
> point to your dvd writer/reader device. The
> of=/path/of/the/image/file(.iso)  is the filename, where the image
> will be written. dd won't check the source's size, so it will fill up
> your disk, if you haven't got enough free space.
>
> You can check your dvd's size, by mounting it to a directory, then
> execute a 'df' command.
>
> ie.:
>
> $ mount /dev/dvd /mountpoint
> $ df
> [...]
> /dev/hdb              4,2G  4,2G     0 100% /mountpoint

Daniel,

Again, thanks for replying.  Your advice worked and I ended up making a
"coaster"  Encoding stuff.  Question; I have libdvdread, libdvdcss,
etc. installed.  Does k3b, or are there command line options that
incorporate those kinds of programs when it copies? I guess not.

Anyway, maybe you or some kind soul could point me to a how-to for
decrypting so that a usable copy is made.

Making some progress here. At least i copied and burned.

Bob S.