Desktop-automation?

Janne Ojaniemi janne.ojaniemi at nbl.fi
Sun Feb 13 18:50:57 GMT 2005

I'm currently downloading the Klax KDE3.4 live-CD, and a thought occured to
me: Are there any pkans to add desktop-automation to KDE? OS X Tiger will
have something of the sort, how about KDE?

I'm not simply asking thins because "The stuff OS X has is very cool, and we
should have it as well!". I started thinking about this, and only then I
remembered that OS X will have it as well. The particular reason I started to
think about it is that I started to download the live-CD, and I will soon
leave the computer for a while. When I get back, I need to burn the image in
to a bootable CD. I started to think that it would be pretty convenient if I
could simply tell KDE to "download this ISO-file here, and after you have
finished downloading it, burn it on a CD that is in this particular drive".
When I would get back to the machine, I would have a bootable live-CD waiting
for me. Instead of having to manually burn the CD after the file has been
downloaded.

Of course, that is simply one example of the stuff this kind of functionality
could be used. Are there any plans for this kind of functionality? With DCOP
and the like, I think it could be technically doable.