Copying a DVD

LeVA leva at az.isten.hu
Fri Feb 11 09:51:35 GMT 2005

2005. február 11. 08:31,
Bob Stia <rnr at sanctum.com>
-> kde at mail.kde.org,:
> Hello KDE people,

[...]
> I want to copy a game DVD as a backup.  I have one DVD player/recorder.
> I know I have to copy it to disc first as an iso image.
[...]

Hi Bob!

With k3b, it is fairly simple to create an iso image from a dvd disc. With the
latest (0.11.20) k3b it is like that:

- Tools / DVD / Copy DVD ...
- In the "Options" group box, check the "Only Create Image"
- Enter the path name where you want to save your image file.

or, you can use the good old dd util:

$ dd bs=2048 if=/dev/dvd of=/path/of/the/image/file

Now that you have the iso file you wanted, simply burn out with k3b, or with
whatever you like.

But be aware! Recent game dvds and cds have several protections. This means
that you can not play with your backup discs. You must the original disc
inserted, or else the game will refuse to start.

HTH,

Daniel

--
LeVA