Locking Virtual Desktops

Rick Wagner wagnerric at condor.cxo.cpqcorp.net
Wed Feb 9 21:25:45 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 12:47 pm, Anshul wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Rick Wagner wrote:
> > On Wednesday 09 February 2005 11:16 am, Anshul wrote:
> i tried all that what u've written but its not working on my comp.
> after starting Xserver(which corresponds to F7) when i did cntl+alt+F8
> nothing new happened...it was as if
>
> :1 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 vt08
>
> had no effect.
> Any suggestions.
>
> Regards,
> Anshul

When you lock a session from your kde desktop, does the unlock prompt offer a
"Start new session..." button?  The "reserve" parameter makes the new display
start only when requested (i.e., by clicking the start new session when the
screen is locked).  Right clicking on my desktop also offers a start new
session.  Removing the "reserve" should cause screen 8 to always be available
(after restarting KDM).

You may have to be running KDM as your greeter.  My distribution
(Redhat/Fedroa) defaults to GDM.  I had to change it manually.  On fedora, I
changed my /etc/sysconfig/desktop to:

 #DESKTOP="GNOME"
 DESKTOP="KDE"
 DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

You may have to do something if your distribution is differant.  If so, I
probably can't help much more; I've only played with RH distros. Basically
you will have to poke around in your /etc/X... directories, and find where
GDM is started, and make it use KDM.

 --rick