unable to re-login to kde unless after reboot

Jes Hall jes.hall at kdemail.net
Fri Feb 4 21:41:24 GMT 2005

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 07:33, Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:
> I'm running 3.4 beta1, and have found that I am unable to re-login reliably
> to KDE, through either kdm or gdm.  I find that the startup sequence seems
> to be going along just fine until kde tries to restore my previous session,
> and then it hangs.
>
> This happens pretty reliably on my laptop, and it's a trifle annoying,
> especially considering X's inability to change mouse cursors on the fly
> without having to restart all programs concerned.  But I digress...
>
> If I reboot my laptop, then I am always able to login to my KDE session
> reliably after a reboot.  But, as I said, if I log out and try to re-login
> again, I see the hang described above.
>
> It seems to me that there must be a process running on my machine that I am
> not aware of that is causing the hang.  And to this end, in trying to
> figure out what might be causing it and fix it, I have tried removing
> $HOME/.ICEauthority, $KDEHOME/socket*, $KDEHOME/tmp*, and I have
> additionally made sure that there is NO process running under my userid at
> all when I tried to re-login.  And still I experience the hang.
>
> Does anyone know what might be happening to cause this hang?
>
> Thanks!!

There are two things I'd look at :) KDE and X also drop some lock files and
the like in /tmp, so deleting those might be worth a try.

As far as processes running, I'd be inclined to redirect the output of `ps ax`
into a file (ps ax > file2.txt) Then again into a differently named file
after rebooting. Use diff to compare these two files, and see what's
different. This might give you a few hints.

:)
--
JH

KDE frequently asked questions:
http://docs.kde.org/en/HEAD/kdebase/faq/

panic("esp_handle: current_SC == penguin within interrupt!");